LLC “Novouralsk Research Design Centre” (“Novouralsky nauchno-konstruktorsky tsentr”) is one of the leading enterprises in the field of developing and introducing into the production the technology and equipment of separation of isotopes and gas mixtures by centrifugation, the technology of obtaining and using high-modulus, high-tensile fibre, compounds, composites, and testing materials for a gas centrifuge. NRDC is part of TVEL Fuel Company belonging to “Rosatom” State Corporation.
The link to a virtual tour of TVEL Fuel Company enterprises
LLC “NRDC” is a unique company of great traditions and rich history. It has a strong scientific school which was formed due to the contribution of technical alumni of the best Russian universities, such as Moscow State University, Moscow Engineering and Physical Institute, Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology, Ural Polytechnic Institute, Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, Ural State University and others, which have created the scientific potential of Russian nuclear industry. The enterprise engages highly skilled employees having broad experience in designing, testing and developing equipment for production based on the separation technology. Throughout its history, since 1957 and up to the present day, LLC “NRDC” has seen the following employees: 7 Doctors of Engineering, more than 50 candidates of science, 11 winners of the Lenin Prize, the State Prize and the Prize of The Council of Ministers, 7 laureates of the title of “Honoured Inventor”, “Honoured Innovator” and “Honoured Designer”, 3 honorary residents of Novouralsk, more than 300 workers, authors of two and more inventions.
The Company is engaged in the following areas making up the object of activities of the LLC:
- Developing new models and types of gas centrifuges (hereinafter referred to as GC) and other equipment for production based on separation technologies (U-235 production, separation of isotopes and gas mixtures), carrying out research and development work (hereinafter referred to as R&D) with the application of nuclear materials in the conditions of radiation hazards.
- Researching and developing the technology of using glass-reinforced, organic and carbon-filled plastic fibre in both pilot and full-scale production of GCs, developing equipment for the low-waste flexible automation technology of reprocessing glass-reinforced, organic and carbon-filled plastic filaments and composites.
- Making prototypes of GCs and their units, carrying out full-scale tests and research to determine capabilities of new equipment with the application of nuclear materials in the conditions of radiation hazards. Executing in the test beds of the Company adjustments of centrifugal machines separating radioactive isotopes U-235 to try out the technology of their repair.
- Developing processes of production based on separation technologies; defining the conditions of efficient use, running of new GCs and GCs in service in organisations with production based on separation technologies, power-supply systems, instrumentation and automation systems of production. Executing control, analysis and reliability prediction of the main processing equipment, analysis of processes, giving recommendations concerning the retrofitting of equipment in departments with production based on separation technologies, providing the functioning and upgrading of the quality assurance system used in production based on separation technologies.
- Maintaining design documentation elaborated by the Company. Supervising pilot and full-scale production, starting-up, adjustment and running of GCs according to the Company’s documentation.
- Designing and constructing test beds (for manufacturers of GCs as well), laboratory setups, devices and apparatuses, condensing works and evaporator installations, utility lines and Company’s equipment including multistage cascades for isolation of uranium monoisotopes used subsequently in the production of standard composite samples.
- Executing centrifugal U-235 enrichment, separation of isotopes and gas mixtures to try out and improve the technology of their production. Running, testing, adjusting and repairing installations, test beds and machinery, control and automation tools of the Company in the conditions of radiation hazards. Organising repair and construction work inside industrial buildings of the Company in case of their radioactive contamination.
- Developing pilot production and civilian production on the basis of scientific and technological developments related to the Сompany’s principal activities.
- Developing and producing devices, including those for nondestructive check of materials, composites and manufactured articles. Controlling and testing materials and substances in terms of their physical-mechanical and chemical parameters.
- Conducting trading, industrial and economic activities aimed at meeting the public needs in industrial and technical products, construction materials, consumer goods, in development and implementation of new production technologies; developing and introducing low-waste, environmentally friendly and resource-saving production technologies; executing other types of work and rendering services.
- Reducing the cost price of GCs in full-scale production. Automating production processes in GC manufacturing plants.
LLC “NRDC” is experienced in
- Developing, producing and running in its own equipment gas centrifuges for separation of stable isotopes used in various industries (tungsten, molybdenum, xenon, krypton isotopes, carbon dioxide carbon isotopes, benzene carbon isotopes).
- Developing, producing and running in its own equipment gas centrifuges, purification plants and sorption installations for obtaining ultra-high-purity gases (with the impurity level lower than 5 ppm)
- Developing and producing a batch of microhematocrit centrifuges for separating red blood cells from plasma.
- Developing and producing prototype medical ultracentrifuges for blood fractionation for hemotransfusion stations.
- Developing centrifuges for centrifuging biological fluids.
- Developing the design and fabrication method (from glass, polymeric, carbon fibre composites) of and producing:
- containment shells (shields) for protection from corrosive medium, including cases of an elevated temperature;
- ski poles.
- test beds including those for seismic testing of equipment with the magnitude lower than 10 according to the Richter scale;
- installations for measuring slight linear displacements;
- plants for graphitization of carbon fibre yarns below a temperature of 3200°C.
- the deflected mode of rotors and their hubs;
- amplitude-frequency characteristics of rotors and their hubs;
- geometrics of hubs dampening fluctuations;
- the gas-dynamic behaviour of gas streams at a flow of bodies, including cases when they move at a supersonic speed;
- stationary and non-stationary temperature fields of equipment and heat flows;
- the magnetic rotor suspension;
- excess pressure and stress in the material of tanks in case of an accident with a naked flame; as well as in cases of a phase transition of substances in the tanks;
- the obtaining of multivariate regression process models with the detection of the most influencing factors; a mathematical simulation of an experiment;
- solving physical and technical problems, ranging from a problem statement and mathematical formulation to programming and calculations;
- making calculations with ANSYS/Multiphysics/CFD, along with developing new finite elements and user commands.
- a carbon fibre yarn: linear density, density by hydrostatic and gravimetric methods, geometrical cross-sectional dimensions, coefficient of elasticity of tensile microplastics;
- carbon-filled plastic: volume content of the carbon fibre yarn and voids, content of the composite binder and voids by a chemical test, elasticity coefficient of samples, density by hydrostatic and gravimetric methods, thermal linear expansion coefficient of carbon-filled plastics with different regimes of reinforcement, elastic properties of carbon-filled plastics with different regimes of reinforcement, internal friction parameters;
- composites: elasticity coefficient of annular samples, elastic properties of plane samples in flexure, elastic properties of the cladding layer in compression, thermal conductivity coefficient of materials with different regimes of reinforcement.
The company offers additional activities of
- Developing small power gas and liquid separation centrifuges for fractionating media for oil and gas, pharmaceutical, biological and other industries.
- Developing and producing centrifugal purifiers for cleaning inlet and outlet air from dust and other particles for the so-called clean rooms in radioelectronic, pharmaceutical, biological and other industries.
- Developing and producing prototypes of mechanical energy storage devices (flywheels) for power plants (including nuclear ones) and energy recuperation transportation (underground, tram, trolleybus).
- Testing physical-mechanical properties (modulus, strength, density), corrosion resistance of glass, polymeric, carbon, basalt fibres and composites based on them.
- Testing and developing the technology of obtaining and using glass, polymeric, carbon fibres and composites based on them taking into consideration the properties and parameters given by the customer.
- Testing and developing the fabrication method of and producing composite-based nonmagnetic containment shells for torque and translation motion transmission (magnetic stirrers, pumps), used in chemical, oil and gas, pharmaceutical, biological and other industries.
- Developing their design and fabrication method from composites with the maximum or optimum relation of structural strength and mass, for instance, used in the production of the following things: aerospace hardware, aircraft, medical devices (prosthetic devices), sporting goods and leisure products (hockey sticks, fishing rods).
- Developing and producing measuring equipment for controlling the physical-mechanical properties of materials (for automated process inspection systems).
- Carrying out seismic tests of reliability of equipment, devices and sensors by applying the magnitude not exceeding 10 according to the Richter scale.
- Conducting design-theoretical work including problem solving and calculation as well as the optimization of:
- the deflected mode of bodies of revolution and their hubs;
- amplitude-frequency characteristics of bodies of revolution and their hubs;
- geometrics of hubs dampening fluctuations of axles and whole devices;
- the magnetic device suspension for reducing the energy consumption due to friction;
- carrying out statistical investigations in any economic sector (industry, mining, processing, chemical, medical industries, transportation, commerce, agriculture and others); making multivariate regression process models with the detection of the most influencing factors; making a mathematical simulation of an experiment.